repost: Notice board memories

Plumeria...

Every so often I like to go back to the beginning of my blog to see what I was thinking, feeling and doing. When I first started blogging in 2004, it was a new thing and I always had to explain what it was to people, how things have changed!

Every so often I also re-post a post that I'd written and posted earlier, so here is one that I wrote in July 2005. The photo is of some flowers on my desk taken when we lived in Bombay around the general time that I wrote this post.

Desk2

Interestingly, I don't have a notice board above my desk anymore, which is something I really miss. And even more interestingly, everyone calls them Inspiration boards now ;-)

Here's the original post.

It’s great to be back in the rhythm of things, sitting at my desk with laptop, surrounded by my familiar, well-loved things. The board behind my desk currently displays an artwork I made in college. It is a collage of sorts, some portions enlarged, some reduced, pasted together to make an interesting form of jagged lines, peaks and valleys, all in black and white of course. Therefore, I consider it an artwork rather than a painting.

My notice board also has a collection of photographs, of my grandparents with my sister when she was a baby, of me and my husband, and a lovely, peaceful picture of the Golden Temple taken in the 1950’s. I also have a wonderful shot of my family taken on a roller coaster ride with a Viking theme at Worlds of Fun in Kansas City, the type they develop and hand you as you exit the ride.

There are two postcards of Subhodh Kerkar’s etchings depicting fishing boats, along with a portrait by Pablo Picasso. Other items on the board are business cards of our apartment complex’s Honorary Secretary a.k.a. the Resident God and the AC repair man. Two poems, Rudyard Kipling’s ‘If’ and an unnamed one by Claude T. Bissell are also tacked on my board.

These are the things that ground me, the things that make each house we move into a home almost as soon as I unpack these items and place them on the desk. The notice board keeps changing and that’s what makes it fun and interesting. I take a photograph of my notice board every time I change as a keepsake as it will remind me of all the things that were going on in our lives at the moment. In fact, the photo of my college room notice board is one of my favorite photos from those years.

Comments

Anonymous said…
oh yes.. they are indeed called inspiration boards.. I've never had one for some reason.. Maybe I should!! huummm..

Hope you have a fab week ahead of you!!
Shilpa said…
this is a lovely post. thank you for reposting and thank heavens for making you do so :D

when we were doing our journalism, a hands-on practical course which was a shock to many of us after the typical college education, my friend Tina xeroxed "if" and tacked it to our notice ahem inspiration boards one particularly hard week.
Thanks for your comment on my blog the other day. I can't bellieve you have been blogging since 2004. A pioneer!
Shalini said…
Patricia, lol, sometimes when I read the old posts, I feel ancient!

shilpa, yes, it's very inspirational!

Emma, thanks for visiting! Lol, I first heard about blogs after reading about them in the newspaper :-), which is such an interesting contradiction now.
Wow..I came here hoping to see your board and I re-discovered Kipling's If. Thanks, truly inspirational.

Popular Posts