Truly the end of an era


I've always admired Maharani Gayatri Devi's effortless style and elegance and was saddened to hear of her death last week. I read her autobiography A Princess Remembers many years ago, which is a great account of her fascinating life. She also features prominently in Lives of the Indian Princes by Charles Allen and Sharda Dwivedi. I have not read Maharanis by Lucy Moore, although I have it with me, which is about 4 different maharani's, including Maharani Gayatri Devi, her mother, the beautiful Maharani Indira Devi of Cooch Behar.

Why am I writing this post? It's because I listed her as one of my style icons in a tagged post I did recently. Here are some links to articles about her life, from The Telegraph, Times of India, an interview with Times of India, and Wikipedia.

Photo from Times of India

Comments

Arya Kamath said…
Truly elegant and beautiful. She looked great in sarees as well as western outfits including the voluminous jodhpours.
Shalini said…
Yes, a graceful person on all fronts. One doesn't get to see people with style like hers anymore.
Shilpa said…
sadly yes, the end of an era... she had so much poise and so much presence!
truly,she is admirable.

Popular Posts