Kerala Trip - Day 4


Day 4

* Early morning finally shows us the paradise we are staying in. The Birds Lagoon Village Resort is absolutely fabulous! What an incentive to wake up early and explore.

* We bypass our morning visit to the Thattekkadu Bird Sanctuary in order to reach our next destination earlier due to an injury of one of our party.

* We drive to our next destination, Kumily located next to Thekkady and the Periyar National Reserve. The drive is simply breathtaking on small and narrow roads through cardamom plantations. This is paradise, I do believe.

* Arrive at Cardamom Club, the resort we are staying at near Thekkady. At first glance it reminds me of our cottage in Juneo. I think it is the stucco walls. The final approach to the resort is on a narrow road through a narrow valley full of cardamom plantations.

* The resort is owned by George Cherian, who lives on the premises and also takes care of the 15 acre cardamom plantation.

* Yay, there is a tree house and hammocks! Unfortunately, they're all occupied by other guests. Hmmm....will have to do something about that!



* Have a late lunch in the charming dining room, with a bookcase full of interesting books.

* Explore the rooms and the resorts. There are a total of 7 rooms, of which 5 are occupied by us and the other two by a French couple and their guide, who arrived a day before us.

* We head out in the afternoon to tour a spice garden and see a kairali performance.

* A nice relaxed evening at the resort.

PS: the food was really great here.

Details:
Birds Lagoon Village Resort, near the Thattekkadu Bird Sanctuary, is an idyllic place to stay completely in the middle of nowhere. The quality of the rooms is good, and the service is excellent.

Cardamom Club Plantation Getaway in Kumily, Thekkady has 7 rooms on a working cardamom plantation. Even though it is called a resort, it feels like a homestay or a boutique resort. The food is excellent and is personally supervised by the owner George Cherian and his family.

Comments

nice bolography, Just have been to Kerala once and must say its a fantastic & peaceful place
Shalini said…
Thanks Avinash. I wanted to write about my trip and so when I came back I wrote points in my journal. I'd heard so much about Kerala, but it completely lived up to my expectations and more.
Anonymous said…
WOW! talk of cardamom plantations....I loved walking there..the spice gardens were awesome.

Shalini jus check out my new post, its for you :-) Hope you wud appreciate.

Cheers
Kanchan.
JD said…
kerela is undoubtedly one of the best places in the world.. I've been there once and loved it.
bindu said…
A trip like this sounds heavenly ... maybe we'll get to go some time in the future too!
Shalini said…
Kanchan, thanks...I loved walking through the plantation....in fact, it was the favorite part of my trip. Hey thanks...going over there now!

JD, I agree, it's really a beautiful place. Hard to imagine it's real.

Bindu, it was a great trip and I would highly recommend your taking a trip there sometime.
Unknown said…
Shalini, I have been trying to get in touch with George Cherian, as I would like to feature the tree houses on my blog. Any chance you could help get his contact info while you are there? You could email me on thekeybunch[at]gmail (dot)com if you get any leads.

Have fun, and a great vacation!

- Sharon
www.thekeybunch.com
Shalini said…
Hello Sharon,
Have you tried these numbers from their website?

I was there in the last week of December actually! Back to real life now :-)

Popular Posts