JCPenney's CEO encourages staff to engage with the customer

At the SIFE National Exposition in Dallas, Mike Ullman, the CEO and Chairman of JC Penney believes that his sales staff should go beyond selling products to "befriend customers" as well. He wants employees to think of making a connection with each customer on an emotional level. Describing retail as a "contact sport", he felt that this was one way to differentiate the store from others. He also added that by doing this, employees will feel that they are making a difference and contributing more. The company's internal surveys show that 73% of employees feel "engaged" with customers, which the company hopes to increase to 80%.

Comments

Anonymous said…
This is a good idea, but I dont' think it works as well in retail. I would think it would be better for banks and you could actually talk to the same person every time you call.

I called my bank today, the guy I talked to was awesome, I asked for his extension number so I can talk to him every time I call.
Shalini said…
JCP has been quite good with this already. I know this first hand as I used to work for them!

It will be easier for stores that receive repeat shoppers to establish these connections, I feel.

You're very lucky to be able to call your bank directly. All calls to our bank are routed through call centres where it's almost impossible to get through to talk to someone in the bank.

Popular Posts