The non-importance of things

The most important things in life aren’t things.
--Anthony J. D’Angelo
Founder of The Collegiate Empowerment Company and creator of The Inspiration Book Series

The things that count most cannot be counted.
--Anonymous

As obvious as it is to know the importance of these simple words, its often lost in the race to compete, to be better, to improve and so on. Sometimes I wonder if people really understand the life they are hankering for, the one full of things, brands and assorted collections of items to show to the world that they have arrived. Are they really worth it? For the last 5 years and especially the last 2, I have embarked very seriously on having less, with one exception (*more on that later). I don't need 50 t-shirts and 10 pairs of jeans when I really only wear 10 and 2 respectively. The simplicity of this life is incredibly liberating. I still love to buy new stuff, only now I make sure I give away as much as I buy.

*I strongly feel that one can never have enough books, so that is our one exception to this rule. We love to buy, to read, to collect, to admire them in the bookshelves, to despair when we will actually get the time to read all these books and most of all the knowledge that they are ours.One of our dreams is to start a library with our books. Someday, someday....it'll happen.

Comments

Popular Posts