Fruit-full musings

Ok, we finally have a somewhat decent grocery store in the neighborhood. Godrej's Nature's Basket opened yesterday in the Samarth Vaibhav building in Oshiwara/Lokhandwala. Now, we can at least have some salad leaves, sprouts and lots of what they call exotic fruits and vegetables, like avocado, broccoli and asparagus.

The chap that I buy my fruits from has a stall nearby, in-between our house and this new store, so each time I walk to the store, he looks very dejected. I was quite relieved to find that the fruit selection at Nature's Basket was pathetic and my fruitwallah is thrilled that he will still get my rupees instead of "the big bad rich grocery store".

I bought a 150gm bag of sprouts today and they charged me the rate for 1kg. So I had to go back and get a refund. My fruitwallah was so happy that the 'new store' had messed up, 'they are evil and corrupt you know', he told his neighbor fruitwallah.

And so it is, even though the new store should uncomplicate my life and shopping, I somehow feel a certain responsibility to keep buying my fruit from him instead of the shiny, new store.

Comments

Popular Posts