The Feedback Generation

Getting comments on ones blogs really makes it all worthwhile. Since Blogger's turned off their stats collection, I was wondering if anyone was even reading my blogs, but its nice to know that people are interested in what I am writing. Thank you anon from Bangalore for your sweet and heartfelt comment on A place to call home.

Feedback is the one thing that defines the generation of today. Everyone feels they have a right to write/comment/approve/disapprove on anything and everything. Internet has simplified so many things. It so easy to find the email address of any company you are not happy with and shoot off an email to them. Its not only made things happen faster but made a lot of people accountable for their jobs. I had a nasty experience at a Subway and when I went home I immediately looked up their site and complained. The matter is under investigation now!

When I was in college in the US, there were a number of ways to do research work for our papers. There was microfiche, microfilm, old fashioned index cards and a local network on the computers. Internet was known to only the few forward thinking architecture, engineering and IT students.

For me, the greatest boon of the internet besides communication, is finding information. I can't remember the last time I actually used an encyclopedia, thesaurus or a dictionary. Its easier and faster to do a search on the web and use the Word SpellCheck. I find it ironic that even someone like me who is so fond of the physical aspects of books would rather use a computer rather than the real thing. And I am a person who loves everything about books, the smell, the feel, the crispness of the paper, the weight and of course the knowledge gained. I guess, the web has overtaken all other forms and become the real thing!

Comments

Popular Posts